House Cleaning Checklist
In this custom house cleaning checklist, we go over every part of your home. In addition, we offer cleaning and organizing tips and tricks to make your housekeeping and maintenance easy as can be. Cleaning World Inc. is a New Jersey based commercial cleaning company. We are completely dedicated to assisting our customer base with information to help them lead a healthier happier life in a tidy home and office.
PRO TIP: If you are wanting to learn about cleaning your office rather than your house, check out our office cleaning checklist here.
The Importance Of Routine Home Cleaning
The importance of routine home cleaning and maintenance is vast. From overall better health to less exposure to debilitating and harmful germs to a better mood and less depression, it’s a wonder that more people don’t invest more time in maintaining their home.
Here are a few of the reasons you should be cleaning your home regularly:
- Maintain a healthier, germ-free environment
- Sanitize and disinfect heavily used surfaces
- To feel better when you think about and spend time in your home
- Enhances socializing within the home
- Enhance “curb appeal of home” and adds value when selling
Forgetting To Clean Your Home Can Lead To A Bigger Mess
In addition to all of these positive things a tidy home can do for you and your family, there are consequences to not cleaning your home as well. Forgetting to maintain your home in the proper way can lead to a bigger mess down the line. Mold, mildew, dirt, germs and pests can take over and cause a greater problem (and expense) if your home is not properly maintained.
Risks Associated With Poor Housekeeping
There are many risks that are directly related to poor housekeeping. Below, we will look over a few.
- Accidents related to clutter and mess such as falls, slips, and other things that can be dangerous
- Losing items frequently
- Pests entering and inhabiting your home
- Poor hygiene and self-esteem due to the mess
- Deteriorated social life
- Deterioration of surfaces, walls and structures due to mold, mildew, rotting wood, and more
- Embarrassment and shame
- Overall lethargy and bad mood
- Higher risk of health issues
PRO TIP: If you want to know more about cleaning products and which ones are safe for your pets, please visit this post here. It will provide you with a ton of useful information!
Now that we have spoken about the benefits and risks related to housekeeping and not doing enough of it, let’s discuss what you should be doing regularly. Below, we will take a deep dive into some of the activities that make up your house cleaning checklist.
GENERAL TIPS Regarding Housekeeping
There are some general tips you will want to follow regarding housekeeping and how it should be done. If you can afford to, hire a company for cleaning services at least monthly. The reasons you should hire a professional house cleaning service are pretty basic, but they are very important to discuss.
Reasons To Hire A Professional Service
- Professional grade equipment and products
- More thorough cleaning
- You will have more free time
- Avoid getting hurt
- They are generally very affordable and will work around your budget
Many janitorial services offer a variety of cleaning options. From window cleaning to heavy duty cleaning, hiring a pro is truly the way to go!
PRO TIP: When it comes to hoarder cleanup and similar jobs, you should always hire a professional. Cleaning out a space that has been affected by hoarding behaviors can be dangerous and very hard to do properly. Don’t go at it alone!
ROOM CLEANING CHECKLIST (To Be Used For Any Room)
Individual Room Housekeeping Checklist
- Clean and dust the room beginning in the high areas and moving downward
- Inspect the corners of the ceiling for cobwebs and dust
- Dust molding that is around the floor
- Clean and Windex windows
- Pay special attention to window tracks
- Don’t forget to dust your window sills too!
- Dust all ceiling fans
- Door hinges
- Wipe down any dirt you see on walls
- Clean and disinfect light switches, door handles, railings and other frequently touched surfaces
- Windex mirrors
- Vacuum and clean furniture where necessary (you can spot check cushions)
- Dust any vents and shelving
- Vacuum rugs and carpets (consider carpet cleaning when necessary)
- Swiffer and mop floors (or consider floor waxing and treatments when necessary)
LIVING AND FAMILY ROOM TIDYING AND CARE
Your living room and family room is where you, your family and guests will spend most of the time. This area should be treated regularly. Here is a list of chores you should do to maintain this beautiful and welcoming part of your home.
- Straighten up by putting away any loose items such as toys, throw blankets, books or anything else lying around
- Put food items or glasses, mugs, and plates away immediately after use
- Dust and maintain your family room daily
- Reposition couch cushions and pillows
- Push in any chairs that are in recline or out of place
- Remove trash from trash cans daily
- Dust the entire family room from top to bottom
- Treat wood furniture with pledge or something similar as maintenance
- Windex any windows and clean glass items
- Dust lamps and other loose standing objects
- Vacuum rugs and carpet
- Vacuum upholstery such as areas under and between cushions
- Dust and clean book cases and shelving
- Put objects away and place things in order so as not to have the room in disarray
Less Frequent Chores
- Clean carpets professionally
- Treat wood floors
- Do a clean out of the room and remove objects that you no longer want
- Professionally clean any blankets, throws, curtains and upholstery items
KITCHEN CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE LIST
Your kitchen is a part of your home that needs to be properly maintained. Proper maintenance and cleaning of your kitchen includes wiping down surfaces, treating countertops and food areas, and other general housekeeping duties.
It’s especially important to clean and disinfect your kitchen if you are handling raw meat and poultry often. Viruses, germs and parasites can get transferred through dirty countertops if you’ve been handling raw meats.
Below is a general house cleaning checklist for your kitchen.
General Kitchen Maintenance:
- Treat kitchen surfaces and cabinets with a cleanser
- Open the microwave and clean the inside. Also clean the outer surface of the microwave.
- Be sure to wash and dry dishes. You should also clean your dishwasher regularly.
- If your dishwasher is full, you should unload it and put dishes, pots, pans, silverware and glass away.
- Clean out your kitchen drawers. Remove the objects in the drawers and clean them out to prevent dirt and germs from festering.
- Clean out your refrigerator. You can empty each shelf one by one and wipe the inside down. Remove any food particles that are loose such as onion peels, leaves from fruit and veggies and more.
- Take out the trash.
- Disinfect your trash cans and recyclables
- Clean the toaster. If there is bread particles in it, clean that out. Be sure to unplug first
- Clean out the inside of the sink and the drain. Make sure you do this when the dishes are done.
- Clean any tile in the kitchen such as backsplash and other areas
- Mop the floors or clean and treat with something that is safe for your floors
- Clean and dust doors
- Treat doorknobs and other surfaces such as handles and refrigerator door handle
Daily Kitchen Cleaning Checklist:
- Wash dishes
- Wipe down and disinfect counter area
- Keep sink clean and sanitized
- Keep food refrigerated
- Clean cutting board
- Clean out the drains in your sink
- Sweep the kitchen floor
- Wipe down kitchen table
- Shake out floor mats
- Ensure dish towel is clean
- Replenish paper towels and napkins
- Don’t leave food on stove
- Clean out coffee pot
BEDROOM CLEANING CHECKLIST
Your bedroom is a room that needs to be properly maintained. Leaving dirty clothes out lying around and forgetting to pick up after yourself can result in a general problem with cleanliness and odors. For this reason, there are several daily chores that should be done in your bedroom.
In your bedroom, it’s also an excellent thing to practice good laundry habits. Don’t just throw clothes onto your floor. Put them in a hamper so they can be cleaned regularly. Ensure that your bedding is fresh and clean. This will all reduce the spread of germs and virus and will lead to an overall better quality of life.
Daily Bedroom Cleaning Checklist:
- Pickup and put away clothes
- Make your bed
- Dust surfaces and make sure they are clean and dust-free
- Spot check areas for heavier cleaning
- Remove dishes and mugs from nightstands regularly
- Keep drawers organized to reduce clutter
- Keep your closets well organized and be sure to pick things up off the closet floor
- Sanitize handles and knobs
- Windex windows
- Draw the curtains
- Clean mini-blinds and dust when necessary
- Vacuum and clean the floors
LIST FOR BATHROOM HOUSEKEEPING AND MAINTENANCE
Your bathroom is prone to germs and debris. Cleaning it and maintaining it routinely is crucial to a happy healthy life. When your bathroom gets dirty it can be unpleasant to use it. For this reason a heavy-duty bathroom cleaning approach is necessary.
Daily Bathroom Cleaning Tasks:
- Wipe down all surfaces and cleanse thoroughly
- Put your towels, toothbrush and other loose items away after use
- Windex your bathroom mirrors
- Wipe down faucet handles
- Sanitize toilet and area surrounding
- Use a cleaner inside of the toilet or hire a commercial cleaning service
- Launder towels regularly and put dirty towels in the hamper
- Replenish cleaning products, paper towels and toilet paper
PRO TIP: If you want to know about cleaning your home after Coronavirus, visit this page here!
Cleaning your entire home can sometimes be tedious. That is why it’s crucial that you have a checklist to look at while doing so. With the current state of our world, there is an increased need for regular housekeeping to keep our homes sanitized and safe. Especially if there is someone sick in the home, it’s especially important to maintain it the best that we can.
If you need help cleaning or maintaining your home, you should hire a professional service. Cleaning Word Inc. has been in business for many years and we are here to make your life easier. If you want to get an estimate on home cleaning services and if you are in the state of New Jersey, we’d love to hear from you. You can simply give us a call or find out more information on this page here.
We hope you learned a lot from this post about the importance of housekeeping and maintenance. In addition, we hope that this house cleaning checklist is helpful and something you can use down the road.