When To Clean Your House And Why It’s Important
If you were wondering when to clean house or how often items in your home should be cleaned, this article will answer everything. In this comprehensive blog post, we will discuss all the times that a good house scrub down is needed and what you should do.
You Need To Clean Your Home Frequently
The fact of the matter is that you really need to clean your home frequently. There are many benefits of having a clean home that are not acknowledged as often as they should be. However, cleaning your home and maintaining it’s overall level of sanitation and organization is an important part of being a homeowner.
Here are some important reasons to clean your home:
- Maintain physical health of those in the home
- Feel good in your home
- Prevent exposure to germs, bacteria, virus and pests
- Friends and loved ones will feel comfortable visiting your home
- Prevent accidents and injury from clutter
If You Don’t Keep Your Residence Clean You’ll Have A Bigger Problem
Now that we’ve looked at some of the benefits of maintaining a sanitary and tidy space, let’s look at what can happen if you don’t maintain your residence. Unfortunately, many people can’t be bothered with the time it takes to clean and maintain a beautiful home. Instead of hiring professional cleaning services, many homeowners just let things get unorganized and dirty.
You should avoid neglecting your space as much as possible as the consequences will outweigh any benefits in time and money you may save. Here are some of the consequences of not cleaning your home regularly:
- Odor that is hard to get rid of
- Germs that make those in your house sick
- Overall feeling of unhappiness
- Mold and mildew
- Foundation problems to the home that will cost a lot to fix
- Embarrassment and shame
- Hazards that could lead to physical consequences such as falling
Important Times To Clean Your Home
There are many important times to clean your home. However, sometimes people can forget. Below we have created a list of situations that demand immediate cleaning!
Situation 1: You See Bugs And Pests
Nasty bugs and pests are a sure sign that your home needs attention. Besides just simply calling pest control you should thoroughly assess the conditions in your house.
Here are some questions to ask:
- Has food been left out to spoil or am I careful to discard items or put them back into the fridge?
- Do I take out the trash in all rooms frequently enough?
- Are there areas in the home that need disinfecting and sanitization?
- How are my counter tops? How about the sink?
- When was the last time I hired professional carpet cleaning service?
In the situation that you see bugs and pests, take note and take it very seriously. It might be time for a heavy duty cleaning and ASAP!
Situation 2: You Just Had A Home Remodel
If you’re doing construction in your home, chances are your contractors aren’t going to take out the Windex and clean dust from glass. However, it still needs to be done.
An option you have is to hire a post construction cleaning service near you. This is probably the ideal way to handle mess from construction. However, you can also do it yourself. Just be sure to be careful and do it right because debris left from construction sites can be very hazardous.
Situation 3: You’ve Been Entertaining
It’s great to do a general house cleaning after you’ve been entertaining. There is certain to be germs and debris that could linger throughout the house. For the wellbeing of your family and future guests, it’s important to sanitize properly.
Just like a housekeeping service will go into a hotel room and clean when the room is vacant, you should do the same. It’s a good practice to get into the habit of and you’ll see positive results to your health and the health of your family.
Situation 4: Someone’s Been Sick
If someone in your home has been sick (or if you have someone with a compromised immune system in your home) it’s important to keep your space as neat as can be. It’s also important to clean out clutter and disinfect regularly.
As we saw with the recent COVID-19 pandemic, germs can live on surfaces for days. For this reason, it’s crucially important to sanitize and disinfect in order to prevent sickness and kill germs.
In addition, if you have someone who is sick living in your home, you should be especially regimented in cleaning. This is to both preserve the health of your sick house mate and to prevent others from getting sick too.
If you follow these steps you are sure to get great results.
Situation 5: Hoarding Behaviors
If someone in your home is hoarding in any way, you will need to thoroughly clean your home regularly. With hoarding, areas of the house can get infested with germs and debris. It’s crucial to keep things as clutter free as possible and maintain the standards of your living space.
You can hire professional cleaners for hoarder cleanup or do it bit by bit yourself. Whatever you do, you need to maintain a clutter free and disinfected space for your family, guests and pets!
How Often To Clean Your Home
This next section of the post will investigate how often you should clean your home. We will discuss different things from your overall space to individual items that need cleaning
Weekly Cleaning Chores
Here are some of the chores that need to be done on a weekly basis as part of overall home maintenance.
- Vacuuming and mopping
- Disinfect surfaces such as table tops, door knobs and handles, counters and more
- Organize clutter and put items away
- Polish wood with Pledge or something similar
- Launder towels, table cloth, bedding and linens
- Clean glass surfaces including windows
Monthly Cleaning Chores
- Deep cleaning and scrub-down
- Vacuum, mop, and Swiffer floors
- Dust hard to reach areas including behind beds, corners and bookcase shelving
- Treat surfaces with specialty cleaners to remove long standing germs and stains
- Clean and disinfect your refrigerator
- Remove expired and spoiled items from fridge
- Organize drawers and closets to avoid clutter
- Wash comforters and some upholstery
- Wash rugs
Every Few Months
- Clean the inside of the oven
- Disinfect your freezer and remove any frosted chunks of ice that may have built up over time
- Remove items from cabinets and sanitize the inside of shelves
- Organize and discard or donate clutter
- Polish brass and silverware
- Hire professional window washing service
- Deep cleaning of some appliances such as your coffee maker
Every Year Or So
Every year you should do a major overhaul of your home. Certain important things can be done, such as carpet cleaning, floor waxing and other important, deep cleaning chores.
In addition, you can do things to the outside of your home to prevent it from getting rundown and increase curb appeal. Power washing your home is one of those things, however it only needs to be done every few years. You can read more about that here.
Cleaning Your Home Regularly Helps To Extend The Life Of Furnishings And Appliances
Cleaning your home regularly is a great way to ensure you’re getting the most out of your appliances and that the items in your home will last longer. That’s why you need to get on a regular cleaning schedule with a professional or take a DIY approach.
If dirt and mold build up, you’ll see that you have a much bigger and more expensive problem down the line. So why not take the necessary steps today and maintain the beauty of your home?
We hope this post has taught you a lot and has given you important information you need. You should now understand when to clean house and exactly how to do so too!