How To Clean Your Bathtub And Shower
Learning how to clean your bathtub and shower is vitally important for keeping a clean home. As spaces in your house where water is ever-present, humidity is high, and the potential for mold and grime here is high as well. This article will have your bathtub and shower sparkling in no time!
Take Stock Of Your Tub/Shower
What needs to be cleaned? Is it standard grime, soap scum, dirt, and water spots? Or is excess hair clogging the drain? Is mold present in any corners, grout lines, or drains?Once you know what you’re working with, you’ll know what supplies you need.
Gather Your Supplies
- All surface cleaner
- Course brush
- Rubber gloves
Organize Your Area
Before you begin, organize the area you’re about to clean. Move all your shampoo bottles, soaps, loofahs, and rubber ducks from the tub/shower. You don’t want anything obstructing the dirty areas. Put these items to the side –they will be wiped down at the end of the process.
No mold or clogged drains? Great! Just throw on your gloves, grab your all surface cleaner and your brush and start cleaning! Make sure you get in all of the grout lines between tiles and all of the corners. If necessary, use an old toothbrush to get in hard-to-reach places. Once you’re done, rinse the cleaned areas with water. Open a window to ensure good ventilation.
Hair clogging your drain? Aside from causing water build up, a clogged drain can become a breeding ground for mold. Here’s how to clean a very clogged drain:
- Remove the drain grate.
- Push your drain snake into the drain to knock any clogs loose.
- Pour 16 oz of Drano into your drain.
- Wait fifteen minutes, allowing the Drano to work.
- Finally, flush with warm water by turning on the shower or tub.
To help prevent a badly clogged drain, remove any hair after showering and pour a little vinegar down the drain weekly to keep the drain clean.
This is the most common problem people come across when cleaning their tubs and showers –how to get rid of mold? Because tubs and showers are humid environments, it’s easy for mold to take hold.
Common places are in corners, on caulk, and in grout lines. Mold can come in many varieties, ranging in color from black to green to grey –even to pink. It’s unlikely the species of mold growing in your tub or shower is very harmful, but it’s never a good idea to leave mold growing unchecked in your house. Here are the simple steps you can take to get rid of pesky mold.
- Mix a solution of 1 part bleach to 2 parts water.
- Spray the affected area and allow bleach to sit for 10 minutes.
- Scrub the area with your brush. Use an old toothbrush for hard to reach areas like in grout lines!
- Rinse area with water.
If you don’t want to use bleach, you can use vinegar instead!
- Fill a spray bottle with undiluted white vinegar.
- Spray the affected area generously until it is completely covered and wet.
- Allow the vinegar to sit for two hours, soaking into the mold.
- Grab your brush and scrub until mold releases from your surfaces.
- Wipe area with warm water and allow it to dry.
Pros of using vinegar over bleach:
- Non-toxic and can be used easily around people and pets.
- Kills 82% of mold species.
Cons of using vinegar over bleach:
- Can leave 18% of mold species alive.
- Leaves a strong odor that can linger.
Tips for preventing mold growth in the tub/shower:
- Clean top-to-bottom once every two weeks at minimum.
- Do not use a suction cup shower mat in the shower –these are great items for mold to cling to andgrow on.
- Ventilate well –open the windows while you shower or soak.
- Keep your drain unclogged using the tips above.
Now that your bathtub and shower are looking spick and span, grab the items you put to the side at the beginning (soap, shampoo bottles etc.) and wipe them down with a little bit of all surface cleaner. Replace them in their proper spots and admire your bathroom in its newfound clean glory. Repeat these steps on a regular basis to ensure the cleanliness of the space is maintained.
In addition to cleaning on your own, you may also want to invest in quality commercial cleaners or a professional cleaning company near you. Cleaning World, Inc. is a New Jersey cleaning service. They provide many services such as tile and grout cleaning to help keep your bathroom sparkling like new.
We hope this article has been helpful, and that you’ve learned how to clean your bathtub and shower.